slow developement

All other Source.Python topics and issues.
Omega_K2

slow developement

Postby Omega_K2 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:42 pm

Any chance that it will speed up?

I'd really like to see it take off at some point, but that's not gonna happen if some of the python libraries are outdated and some things won't work on the C side (or don't exist or have bugs).
Libraries: k2tools
Plugins (any): GSRPG (soon) | Pretty Status List | MySQLAds (soon)
Plugins (game-specific): None atm

If you happen to find a bug or need help, either post in the release threads or contact me in IRC gamesurge.net:6667 / #sourcepython
satoon101
Project Leader

Postby satoon101 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:22 am

I'm glad you brought this up, because I have been meaning to post a thread about something. In a couple weeks we will be moving the repository to GitHub and start using Git. This will allow the community to fork the repository and post Pull Requests. This way, the community can help post updates for the plugin that the dev team can then merge in when the code has been checked and verified. Also, when we get further along in development, using Pull Requests will help keep our _data up-to-date. Again, this will happen in about 2 weeks. We are just waiting for a few specific updates on the C++ side before we make the move.

Satoon
Omega_K2

Postby Omega_K2 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:12 am

Sounds like a good move to me; still I'd like to see this sooner rather then later. Any chance you'll be posting a public roadmap or a list of planned features? Or will you just use GIT for that, i.e. keep track of feedback and suggested features there.

If you happen to find a bug or need help, either post in the release threads or contact me in IRC gamesurge.net:6667 / #sourcepython
mister-man

Postby mister-man » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:45 am

A second problem is the documentation.
I try many hours and hours and cant find not outdated informatioen. For a few years, I started with eventscripts there was a really good wiki and it was easy to write basic plugins like advertisments, etc....

A open wiki would really nice, that the community can write documentation. And if there a new lib, maybe the writer can it too ;)
----------

Community of Gamers --> http://c-o-g.de
Omega_K2

Postby Omega_K2 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:51 pm

I agree with open documentation, but I think it's coming a later point in development.

What is wrong with the wiki in it's current state, mister-man?

Obviously there is still some undocumented stuff, but it's not that much actually (and you can always look in the cpp or py files). Though I'd love to see a move to mediawiki format instead of a forum plugin, and some general changes for example to include the function header, but both involves a fair share of work. For my own stuff, I do have my own wiki which is structured sightly diffrently, as you can see here, but I've written my own documentation tool that generates it which also requires appropinate changes to the python docstings.

(I think if this is discussed further, it should be a sperate topic)

mister-man

Postby mister-man » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:05 pm

Yes, thats right, it should diskuss in an own topic.
But a last word.

If you search in the wiki, how to work with events. You kick on python, then events.

After that, do that in the eventscripts wiki. If your new and want to create a plugin for your server and you are not a professional programmer. what do you mean is easier for him?
That's what I mean.
----------

satoon101
Project Leader

Postby satoon101 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:29 pm

I imagine that the biggest part of your issue with documentation is that our syntax highlighter is currently broken. Without proper examples, it can be difficult to know how to use certain functionality. We are working on that, but I am not sure when it will be fixed.

Also, Source.Python is not being designed to be EventScripts. We are trying to build our plugin to be much more object oriented and do less "behind the scenes" than ES. We are exposing as much as possible directly from the engine with Boost. Using the Python-API instead of direct calls to Boost will be easier, as the Python-API wraps functionality to accomplish highly utilized tasks in fewer calls. New programmers might find it a little harder, but hopefully they will learn a more proper way of programming in Python.

Satoon
mister-man

Postby mister-man » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:36 pm

Yes, SP do it other and may be more Powerful. But try to klick on the last posted link from me.
I mean the wiki doesn't help other to learn SP. (May there are some helping post in it)

For my current project, I use only the code and try myself how I can do something in SP.

And sometimes a example would nice. And an example in a normal code box is better then nothing.
And today I post no examples by myself, because my programming skills are not good then yours. Normally my script work on my servers but I mean my way to code is not the best for learning a programming language.
----------

satoon101
Project Leader

Postby satoon101 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:45 am

I completely understand about not having many examples. However, we are still in the Alpha stage of development, and the little time that most of us have to work on the plugin, we choose to spend most of working on implementing code and not updating the wiki. It isn't like the EventScripts' wiki was built in a day, either.

The wiki will never be open to the "public". If anyone is interested in helping with the wiki, just let us know and we will add you to the Wiki Contributors team. I think Omega is currently the only one with this status (not including mods, admins, etc...).

Satoon
Omega_K2

Postby Omega_K2 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:56 am

mister-man wrote:And sometimes a example would nice. And an example in a normal code box is better then nothing.

This is true, however, currently it's not that easy to include examples and keep them up to date. The API is still undergoing a lot of changes, and provding examples now also means they need to be adjusted later on. I'm afraid there are already some chanages made that might have made some examples on the wiki outdated, especially for more complex or elaborate examples.

For now I think referring to public scripts is a good start.

Besides that I'm hoping to continue that entry-level wiki series at some point:
http://www.sourcepython.com/showwiki.php?title=Wiki:Your+First+Plugin

(on a side note, as you can see it is one of the pages that will require changes with the new directory layout!)

Return to “General Discussion”